The national Coastal Zone Management Act (CZMA), Section 307, requires federal agency activities and development projects affecting any coastal use or resource to be undertaken in a manner consistent to the maximum extent practicable with the state’s CZM program. Also, activities requiring a federal permit or license, and activities conducted with federal financial assistance, that affect coastal uses and resources (see below: Hawaii List of Federal Permits and Financial Assistance) must be conducted in a manner consistent with the state’s CZM program. The CZMA federal consistency provision ensures that federal agencies cannot act without regard for, or in conflict with, state policies that have been officially incorporated into a state’s CZM program. Federal actions affecting any coastal use or resource must be reviewed by the state CZM program to ensure that proposed activities are consistent with state enforceable policies. The federal consistency procedures and requirements are established in the Code of Federal Regulations, 15 CFR 930.
- NOAA Federal Consistency Overview and Resources
- Hawaii List of Federal Permits and Financial Assistance
Federal Consistency Forms
Important instructions and required information for completing an application for CZM federal consistency review, and the federal consistency application and assessment forms, are available below. The forms are fillable on Adobe Acrobat. Please complete the forms, then print, sign, and submit them to the Hawaii CZM Program along with the required information. If you prefer, print the forms first and complete them manually. For assistance, see the contact information below.
- Federal Consistency Application Instructions
- Federal Consistency Application Form
- Federal Consistency Assessment Form
2016 Hawaii’s CZM Routine Program Changes Request
- Public Notice — July 15, 2016
- Submittal of Routine Program Changes to NOAA Office for Coastal Management for Concurrence
- Added, Modified, Deleted Statutory and Regulatory Policies
2014 Hawaii’s CZM Routine Program Changes
- Public Notice — September 25, 2014
- Submittal of Routine Program Changes to NOAA Office of Ocean and Coastal Resource Management for Concurrence
- Concurrence Letter — NOAA Office for Coastal Management
- Public Notice — November 25, 2014
2013 Hawaii’s CZM Routine Program Changes
- Concurrence Letter — NOAA Office of Ocean and Coastal Resource Management
- Public Notice — February 6, 2013
- Federal Consistency Requirements – 2013
- Federal Assistance Programs Subject to Federal Consistency, 1990 Hawaii Coastal Zone Management Program Document, Appendix D
Detailed information regarding filing requirements for a CZM federal consistency approval and applicable forms are available. Contact John Nakagawa at 808-587-2878 or email@example.com for more information.