Special Action Team on Affordable Rental Housing
On June 29, 2016 Act 127 was signed into law establishing an affordable rental housing goal and establishing a Special Action Team on affordable rental housing, led by Director of the Office of Planning (OP), to make recommendations on actions to promote rental housing. The goal is to develop or vest the development of at least 22,500 affordable rental housing units, ready for occupancy between January 1, 2017 and December 31, 2026. The goal may be met through conversion (non-affordable to affordable) or new development.
The Special Action Team is established, for administrative purposes within OP. The Special Action Team is tasked with the following:
- Recommend actions to be taken to achieve 22,500 affordable rental housing unit goal by December 31, 2026
- Establish performance measures and timelines for the development of affordable rental housing units for the listed increments of area median incomes
- Address and make recommendations to reconcile public interests that compete against and restrict development of rental housing
- Develop a ten-year plan that identifies state, county, and private parcels of land suitable for affordable housing units; incorporation of ten-year plan into the State Housing Plan
- Submit legislation proposing an update of the Hawaii State Planning Act to include the State Housing Plan for 2017 Session
- Submit annual reports to the Legislature for 2017, 2018, and 2019 Sessions
For the current list of Special Action Team members or designees click here.
The Special Action Team has begun tackling the tasks of a dynamic work plan that will continue to be updated to provide the Action Team the ability to efficiently complete the tasks.
Since being established, the Special Action Team have met four (4) times in 2016 and transmitted a report to the 2017 Hawaii State Legislature. To view a copy of the December 2016 report, please click here. In 2017, the Special Action Team held eight regular meetings on Oahu, two Neighbor Island meetings, two special workshops. To view a copy of the December 2017 report to the 2018 Hawaii State Legislature, please click here.
Please return to this page for updates.
Email the Special Plans Branch at firstname.lastname@example.org should you have questions or would like more information regarding the Affordable Rental Housing Special Action Team.